A PE curriculum map is a way of recording and tracking what you are teaching and when. A curriculum plan should be a working document which ensures the content is suitable for each stage of a pupils learning journey.
Creating a good PE curriculum plan
By taking time out to forward plan, you can improve the quality of the pupils learning journey in several ways;
- Checking overlaps/repeats in content
- Ensure there are no gaps in activity areas or progression of units
- Avoid mistakes; organising so many classes and several facility areas, timetabling errors can easily be made
- Identify opportunities
- Help build on previous learning and embed progress
Communication and collaboration
If you are the PE Lead writing your PE curriculum plan, it is helpful to liaise with others, both senior management and your classroom colleagues. Classroom teachers will help you understand the previous learning their pupils have undertaken so you can plan for progress. Senior management will know about facility availability and any interruptions in curriculum time such as trips. You can also use the school calendar to help schedule the best use of activity and facility. Areas to consider when discussing your PE curriculum plan might include;
- What have you been teaching? What were the pupil outcomes? Was good progress made, or are there areas that need to be revisited?
- Do you have specialist coaches in to help teach an activity area? How can you maximise this opportunity through your planning? For example, teach the same activity the following half term to build on what the children have learnt or provide and extra-curricular opportunity.
- What is being taught in other areas of the curriculum? Where appropriate you can make meaningful cross-curricular links.
- What’s happening outside of school that you can bring into learning? For example, if the athletics world cup is happening in May, can you teach an athletics unit at the same time and draw links?
Please view the sample attachments below for further information regarding Curriculum Maps.
To access our complete curriculum maps and learning journeys for year groups please contact Joe Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) for access to our CPD members area.